- 11% of waste is plastic, 40% of which is plastic bottles?
- One million plastic bottles are bought every minute
- Each plastic cup or plate can take 50 to 80 years to decompose.
- More than 13 billion plastic bottles are disposed of each year.
- The average person eats 70,000 micro-plastics each year
“Pulling together a sustainable event is a responsible, forward-thinking thing to do,” says Jacquie Bols, owner/operator of Jacquie’s Gourmet Catering. “It’s also healthier,” she adds.
Does going green mean a sparse, low-key event? Absolutely not. Eco-friendly events are growing in popularity and can be very trendy and chic.
Sustainable events and receptions can be anything from conscientious zero-waste affairs to opting for sustainably-sourced meats and locally-grown vegetables. Think small or think big. Florists, breweries, your venue, even rental companies can help you lower your carbon footprint. All you need to do is ask.
Here are some ideas:
- Digital “Save the Date” invites can be creative and a lot of fun.
- If you prefer a paper invite, consider plantable invitations with seeds embedded. Guests will love planting their invitations in their gardens – creating a long-lasting memory!
- Buy flowers in season and use a local florist with community-grown flowers and greenery. Opt out of Styrofoam flower bases.
- Ask us for compostable dinner plates and natural (often bamboo) utensils rather than plastic.
- Rent items like candles, specialty lighting, décor, or centerpieces rather than purchasing single-use items
- Don’t use balloons
- Bar service can also be green! Serve locally brewed beers, local wines, and spirits.
- Avoid gifting edible treats or gifts in cellophane or plastic gift wrappers. Use compostable boxes.
- Consider donating leftover catered food to a food bank or another local organization in need.
Please join us in working toward local food sourcing, sustainable farm practices, and the use of organic, pesticide-free Indiana-grown foods.
We would be delighted to help with all kinds of ideas to keep your party green and your event earth-friendly!