Wedding receptions are the festive part of the whole wedding thing – the ‘release’ after weeks of planning that everyone looks forward to—family, friends, and the couple themselves.
There’s music, meeting new people, family reunions, celebrating with adult beverages, eating yummy food, dancing… and generally having a great time celebrating the new couple.
Of course, there’s a lot of planning that goes into that celebration. Lot’s of decorating, too. So here’s what trend-setters are saying about what’s new this year in receptions…
- “Although sustainability is not a new concept, it has become more of a priority for couples planning weddings today,“ according to Town and Country magazine. We think that’s pretty awesome, as Jacquie’s Gourmet Catering has always been about sustainability, from food sourcing (local is always our preference), to using recyclable materials as much as possible. When planning your wedding reception, we can work closely with you to ensure the menu you prefer is seasonal as well as being environmentally friendly.
- Reception florals can include a lot of living plants and tons of greenery for a super fresh-smelling, verdant feel. Ivy trellises and walls of green are also trending. We’re happy to help with suggestions for eco-friendly flowers – perhaps even gifted to guests to take home. The pots themselves can be wrapped in silky or semi-transparent fabrics to hide the pot and create a natural garden feel.
- Airy, open spaces are very on trend for receptions. Among our favorites are industrial, loft-style spaces, rooftops, art museums, and re-purposed mid-century style downtown buildings. These spaces are great fun to decorate – incorporating the vibe of the space.
- Statement patterns are big. Whether it’s classic floral or geometric, something complex or simple shapes, the options are endless. Whichever pattern type works for you, incorporate the look from start to finish—from invitations to flowers, tabletops to dance floors—even lighting.
- Planning a weekend-long celebration of special experiences for guests is becoming more common, too. This is especially true given the rising popularity of multi-day celebrations. It’s a thoughtful way to show appreciation to those who came in from out of town to celebrate with you. Think: champagne served upon arrival, bar-hopping or wine-tasting a day before the the rehearsal dinner, a day of sightseeing after the wedding – whatever works for your group. Just be sure to let everyone know the itinerary.
- Laser-cut overlays on reception tables are gaining in popularity. Laser-cut lighting also adds depth, drama and texture. Hire an expert or ask us for help.
- High impact florals: Who says neutrals rule your wedding? Pick a color theme and go vibrant — from flowers such as poppies, roses, and wildflowers – to bird of paradise. One look we love is lining up floral colors from light pink to hot pink, flowing into red, right through purple. Bold and fun!
- The After-Party –with the emphasis being on the late-night part of the evening, with bride and groom changing clothes and the event becoming a fun dance party. Hors d’oeuvres, light desserts and special drinks are often a part of the fun!
Jacquie’s Gourmet Catering party planners are happy to help you plan and decorate as much or as little as you want. Let us know your theme and colors and we can go to town – or just tell us what where you’d like some suggestions. Either way, we are happy to help.