We are known for our triple-layer double chocolate cakes, tiramisu in a glass, sinfully rich caramel apple pie, fresh key lime pie, and our oven-warm cookies – to mention a few.
Here and there, we can be coaxed to provide a special recipe or two. Since rich decadent desserts are part of the language of love, and this is February, here is our Valentine to you — our most-requested dessert recipe:
JACQUIE’S POT DE CRÈME
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces best quality dark chocolate (such as Lindt 70% dark), roughly chopped
6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 270°F. Place 6 ramekins in a large baking dish. Pour cold water into baking dish until it reaches halfway up ramekins.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, milk, heavy cream, and vanilla.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add dark chocolate and whisk until mixture is thickened and smooth. Take mixture off heat.
- Place egg yolks in a large bowl. Slowly add chocolate mixture, whisking until completely smooth.
- Divide chocolate mixture evenly among ramekins. Cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake until custard is cooked but still jiggly in the center, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Remove ramekins from water bath and bring to room temperature. Chill in refrigerator until cold
Enjoy with your Valentine!