Board appetizers are no longer being monopolized by charcuterie boards. We still love them of course, but this year, boards of all kinds are bursting the charcuterie bubble!
Meet the Butter Board:
It can be creatively satisfying and a whole lotta fun to put together a butter board. To begin with, butter is creamy and rich – what’s not to like? They are super easy to make, too. Here’s how Jacquie’s Gourmet Catering team assembles ours:
- Get out a clean wide wooden (cutting) board
- Purchase a super-rich butter. Irish or French butters are ideal.
- Allow the butter to come to room temperature.
Spread softened butter in an aesthetically pleasing way onto your board.
- Choose a topping or mix-in – such as seeds, herbs, nuts, radishes, chives, honey, dried fruits, even jams!
- Arrange the butter board toppers in a way that pleases your sensibilities.
- Add sides like smoked salmon, diced cured meats, capers, olives, prosciutto – something to complement your mix-in.
- Serve it together with toasted french bread, crackers, bagels, or whatever works for you.
Cream Cheese boards are also fun:
You can also make a cream cheese board and top the classic bagel spread with:
- red onions
- Black olives
Or – try different flavored cream cheese combinations – using jams and berries. Lay it all out (with toasted bagels, of course) for a casual weekend brunch among friends.
Yep! Peanut butter boards are also a thing!
Creamy or Chunky Peanut Butter is your base. From there you can add:
- Chopped Peanuts
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Dark and semi-sweet oversize chocolate pieces
- Caramel Sauce
- Green Apple (or any tart variety) slices
These suggestions are a great way to get a casual party started. Trust us, your guests will have a blast with them!